1905-06 – Two year medical course begins in the Department of Biology. 14 students enrolled all of whom became physicians.
1907 – Began an ill-fated two year experiment placing the Medical Department in the College of Arts and Sciences.
1907 – Legislature passed a law that “unclaimed dead bodies of convicts and other persons” be provided to the medical school for instruction purposes.
1909 – Medical Department removed from College of Arts and Sciences when accreditation teams demanded it.
1909 – Entrance requirements established. Students must have one year of college work, including physics, inorganic chemistry, zoology or comparative anatomy, qualitative analysis and a reading knowledge of French or German.
1919 –ROTC barracks, built to train cavalry officers became the medical school central facility for the next 40 years.
1924 – Premedical requirements increased from one to three years of college.
1927 – Since the University of Utah, until 1942, was only a two year medical school, students needed to obtain their last two years of schooling elsewhere. The following quote from the December 9th Chronicle showed they did very well, “All students that have transferred to Harvard Medical School stood in the upper third to upper one-tenth of their classes, and similar reports are coming from other institutions. Students from the University of Utah lead all other groups who have transferred to the University of Pennsylvania.”
1929 – The Department of Biochemistry was formed and placed in a converted attic.
1939 – Working through the WPA and at a cost of $35,000 the only extension to the medical building in 20 years was completed.
1942 – In May Board of Regents approves four year medical school.
1942 – In July a contract is drawn between the University and Salt Lake County Hospital.
1942 – Also in July Dr. Cyril Callister, noted plastic surgeon, is named the first Dean of the four year school.
1942 – In September the school had $150 left in the budget and staff consisted of one “efficient secretary, Mrs. Florence Strong.”
1942 – Dr. Louis P. Gebhardt hired from Stanford University to head Department of Bacteriology is dismayed as what he finds, “the lab looked like the stone age variety. There were only two cultures and both were contaminated.” He admitted to having to collect 400 mice, steal cages to keep them in and then having half die the first night because the labs weren’t heated.
1943 – To increase faculty “downtown” doctors were hired at $1 per year and for the increased prestige that association with the University Medical School would bring.
1945 – The medical school gets its first big grant, $100,000 from Congress for research.
1946 – To improve care at the Veterans Administration Hospital informal rotations for students, interns and residents were established with the medical school.
1948 – Medical School receives $416,400 to study cancer.
1949 – Sloan Kettering Institute’s Dr. Rulon Rawson ranked Utah in the top ten medical schools of the nation.
1949 – School began accepting students from Idaho, Nevada and Arizona under a plan in which the states would pay their student’s tuition.
1951 – Building for cancer research opens.
1953 – 75 full time and 220 part time faculty
1955 – Medical School receives $1.5 million from the United States Public Health Services.
1955 – Business report states every $1 invested in the medical center generates $3.10 revenue for the state of Utah. In 2005 it is over $9 for every $1.
1960 – 126 full time and 325 part time faculty
1965 – The University of Utah Medical Center opens in a building that cost $15.6 million and contained 220 beds
1965 – First University Hospital Kidney transplant performed.
1968 – First Intermountain West Newborn Intensive Care Unit Opens
1976 – Intermountain Burn Unit Opens
1978 – Air Medical Transport begins
1979 – Conjoined Hansen Twins are surgically separated
1980 – Teen Mother and Child Program established
1981 – New University of Utah Hospital opens
1982 – Seattle dentist, Dr. Barney Clark implanted with world’s first permanent artificial heart. The Jarvik 7 heart was developed and designed at the University.
1982 – Pediatric Intensive Care Unit opens
1983 – In vitro fertilization program begins
1985 – First University Hospital heart transplant performed
1985 – U Hospital installs area’s first Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scanner
1986 – Department of Psychiatry partners with Psychiatric Institutes of America to open The Western Institute of Neuropsychiatry, a 90 bed psychiatric hospital in University's Research Park.
1991 – Bone Marrow transplant program begins
1991 – Travel clinic opens at U Hospital
1993 – John A. Moran Eye Center opens
1994 – University of Utah purchases The Western Institute of Neuropsychiatry which becomes University Neuropsychiatric Institute (UNI)
1996 – Utah’s first double lung transplant performed
1996 – Utah’s first telemedicine program opens, linking the University with Wendover patients.
1997 – Telepharmacy offers Hospital Pharmacy and Drugs to health centers throughout State
1998 – U Hospital issues patient record no. 1,000,000
1998 – U purchases five outpatient medical clinics, creating a 14-clinic network along Wasatch Front and Summit County
1999 – U Hospital Intermountain Burn Center earns prestigious national accreditation
1999 – The 225,000-square-foot Huntsman Cancer Institute opens
2001 – U Hospital named Intermountain West’s first nationally certified Level I Trauma Center by American College of Surgeons
2001 – Utah Diabetes Center opens in Research Park
2002 – University provides medical care for Olympic athletes in the athletes village and during opening and closing ceremonies.
2003 – U Hospital opens $42.5 Million George S. and Dolores Dore’ Eccles Critical Care Pavilion
2003 – U Hospital & Clinics opens Spanish-speaking clinic at Redwood Health Center
2004 – Huntsman Cancer Hospital opens
2004 – Orthopaedic Center opens in Research Park
2004 – U Hospital & Clinics opens South Jordan Health Center
2004 – U Hospital opens comprehensive transplant services and specialty clinic
2005 – U Hospital & Clinics celebrates 40th Anniversary
2005 – Health Sciences Education Building, housing classrooms to be used by all areas of the health sciences opens.